Saturday, May 2, 2009

Introduction to Zen Workshop

Today was the workshop, and like every other Intro to Zen Workshop, it was unlike every other Intro to Zen Workshop. heh

The dojo was really packed with people, and I get the impression that the sesshin will also be at or near capacity tomorrow.

This workshop was unique in my experience if only because of the sheer volume of lecture material presented. I've always found them to be quite practice-focused.

When I first arrived (nearly half an hour late due to complications from the moving process), I sat in a chair, as it was the seat nearest the entrance. At first break I made the move to something more to my liking so I could sit in seiza posture with alternating periods of a modified half lotus for maximum comfort.

Chairs were commonly in use at the beginning of the day, but by the end of the workshop, everyone who had stuck around to the end (nearly everyone) had migrated to zafus and the like.

I am genuinely impressed with the number of people who came to the workshop as their first introduction to Zen but intend to participate in sesshin. Rock on, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment