Monday, May 4, 2009

a few thoughts the day after sesshin

Having seen people pull it off now, I can say that it is possible to fully participate in sesshin with no prior experience in the practice (however challenging one may find it). But there's something to be said for preparation.

I've been sitting for years, and found sitting for even very short periods challenging at first. I'm not sure whether it had been weeks or months into my practice that I participated in my first "Day of Zen" (quite similar to yesterday's sesshin). I do recall that during those days, a half-hour sit could feel HARD by half-way in, and am sure that the Day of Zen was something of an endurance exercise for me.

But the body adapts quickly enough, particularly with the aid of a competent teacher. So suggestion number one is to have a teacher or very experienced student help you get over the fear of sitting on the zafu and find a few sitting postures you will find fairly comfortable. This is helpful even if you do not participate in long sitting sessions, as even a ten-minute sit will benefit from a posture that doesn't lend itself to intense discomfort.

I also think there's something to be said for having a change of clothes handy for samu (work practice), and maybe even a gym towel. That way you're not sitting in the dojo covered in sweat. This wasn't technically a problem for me yesterday, but my damp shirt in the chilly air was a cause of concern for the host. And part of practice with sangha is to act in such a manner that you do not bring disturbance to others.

I also noted later in the day that things would have been simpler for me if I'd had some sandal-type shoes to put on at various times. This was actually suggested prior to the event, but I simply do not own any.

During extended sitting, the body will require some attendance. Your feet may fall asleep, joints and muscles can protest, not to mention sniffles, itches, etc.

No body has ever, to my knowledge, died of an itchy nose during zazen, so I'd say just be aware of your annoyance until it and/or the itch passes. But if your body position is cutting off blood to your right foot (a common problem with me), try to change quietly to a secondary position for a while, as this is a legitimate body need.

If you experience genuine PAIN, attend to it. Pain is your body's way of telling you that something's outside normal operating parameters, and zen practice is not about harming yourself.

Maintain an attitude of poise as best you can. When you screw up, which is particularly common in the early learning experience, mental self-abuse is not a helpful response. As needed, look to experienced practitioners in the room and follow their lead. When in doubt, gassho and try not to literally slam into anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment