Sunday, May 31, 2009

working toward the lotus position

I've been sitting in the seiza position for years, because back when I was in my twenties and used some of the "pretzel leg" sitting positions, it seemed to lead to soft tissue trouble as much as anything else.

But I've been doing some stretching over the last few weeks (some of which I believe led immediately to more soft tissue trauma) and I aim to try and get to half lotus or full lotus within the next [?] months.

Although I've seen the basic reasoning why these positions are supposed to be better than seiza, I confess to a bit of skepticism.

But dharma practice is, at least in part, about resolving doubt through personal learning experience. So I'm giving it a go.

A month ago I was capable of sitting in a position sort of like a Burmese posture on a tall zafu, but I'm still recovering from last weekend's tree fall and the aforementioned soft tissue trouble. So I'm currently less capable than I was just a month ago.

Whether sitting in these double plus good good postures of old is really better for zazen or not remains to be seen. But working on becoming more limber should have some health benefits as I continue to age, so hey, why not...

No comments:

Post a Comment