Saturday, April 25, 2009

upcoming zen workshop & sesshin

Next weekend I will participate in an "INTRODUCTION TO ZEN BUDDHISM" workshop from 8:30-5:00 Saturday and half-day sesshin on Sunday at the Jackson Zen Dojo.

I have participated in several introductions to Zen in various places, all in the same tradition. They provide great opportunities to practice with and learn from a teacher in a non-intimidating way, focusing on basics of practice.

I don't know just yet what the specific sesshin schedule will be, but in a general sense I know to expect plenty of zazen, kinhin (walking zazen), and possibly some samu (mindful work practice).

For me, a typical zazen session when practicing alone means setting a meditation timer for a set period of time with a few audible reminders to return to mindfulness in case my mind wanders during the session. If I am practicing for longer than one session, I will generally choose sessions of around 25 minutes in zazen practice with kinhin between sessions.

Time is precious over the upcoming week, as I am closing on and moving into a house by my office, but I hope to practice zazen quite a bit in preparation for sesshin.

No comments:

Post a Comment