Sunday, April 12, 2009

Insight Meditation: An In-Depth Correspondence Course

I was first introduced to Insight Meditation (aka Vipassana) in the mid-1990s shortly after completing my Bachelor's in Psychology.

It really fit me quite well, and I learned a fair little bit about Insight, Zen, and related areas of study & practice.

Over the next several weeks I will be moving and settling into a new home, and decided to mark the transition by working through Insight Meditation: An In-Depth Correspondence Course by Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein.

A more detailed breakdown of the lessons is found at Tools for Wellness (with which I'm not personally familiar as a vendor).

My basic understanding is that the course takes at least about three months to complete, but may be completed over a longer period of time based on personal pace.

One can be introduced to the basics of Insight in a variety of ways, ranging from 10-day bootcamp-like retreats to series of lessons in a group environment. I've never participated in a multiple day retreat before, although I have participated in a number of day-long retreats.

The approach I'll be taking here will be, to some extent, a return to familiar territory. But I won't be surprised if I find I'm introduced to newer or deeper experience with Vipassana in the process.

I intend to share some comments in this blog as I progress through the series, and I hope someone finds a bit of something worthwhile here.

No comments:

Post a Comment