Saturday, April 18, 2009

How to make my own zafu and zabuton

The following is a post I made on the 43things website when I noticed several people have set goals of making a zafu and zabuton.

"After tracking down plans and materials, it took two people a matter of hours to produce multiple zafu and zabuton sets."


How I did it: I made both zafu and zabuton several years ago as a weekend project with my mother. We found a few common designs on the internet (which can still be found easily via your preferred search engine) and compared them against the zafu and zabuton I already owned. We already had most of the fabric required, sewing machines, and a few other items. We obtained buckwheat hulls and kapok from a few different sources (not difficult to obtain at all).

As I wanted to carry my zabuton easily, one zabuton we made is a two-panel design with handles on the outer edges. I just tuck the zafu and smile cushion (made at the same time, filled with buckwheat hulls) inside. And as cotton is a local crop, and my mother grew up on a cotton farm, we obtained cotton seed hulls with plenty of cotton still attached, and made a few cushions from this material as well. But dealing with raw cotton is not for the timid, as boll weavils are a problem my mother just happened to know how to deal with.


Lessons & tips: Measure twice, and cut once.

Sit on cusions of various sizes first, if you can, so you know more about what the final product should be like.

You will probably use either kapok or buckwheat, but they are totally different experiences. Try both first if you can, so you can know what will suit you.


Resources: Your preferred search engine can provide everything you need. But we also obtained some materials through a local supplier of goods for furniture construction.

Carolina Morning Designs (zafu.net) was glad to supply the rest of the raw materials. I'm certain many other reputable vendors can be found online, as well.


It took me 2 days.


It made me quite pleased

1 comment:

  1. This is an article I just posted in reply to someone's wish to make (his/her) own zafu and zabuton.

    As indicated, I've already done this and was certainly glad to encourage someone else who wants to do the same.

    ReplyDelete