Friday, June 12, 2009

I've been trying to work my way into Dogen-Approved© zazen postures lately and have discovered that it's getting easier at a rate I hadn't expected.

The main key seems to be vigorous exercise, as best I can tell. Prostrations, pruning trees, mowing the lawn, and martial arts practice all seem to leave my muscles more ready to stretch for a while. And by stretching moderately (short of actual pain) I have limbered up a bit in the last several days.

During zazen this evening I was even able to get into what I felt was a passable half lotus for a while with assistance of cushions.

And it really did feel a lot more stable than seiza.

I've signed up for three yoga classes, which I expect will help equip me with a bit more appropriate body knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment